Well, I shouldn’t say “Take me away!” at this point because really, I’m just getting back from a vacation. But I feel the urge to shout it from the roof-tops. Why? I think coming back from a vacation is probably one of the most stressful things we can do. Sure, the vacation is great, spending all our time relaxing, and rejuvenating. But then reality hits us as we are driving or flying back to real life, and the reality is this: I haven’t worked for 5 days, and things are bound to be piled up.
I try to be good and take care of things before I leave so that I can ease my way back into work when I return. Invariably, however, I’m in such a hurry to go relax that I fail to make my re-entry less than bumpy.
So I am here in my home office, working, trying to catch up on phone calls, trying frantically to file papers, type up reports, do some writing, and clear off my desk, all in the midst of a house that is filled (or so it seems) with unpacked suitcases and dirty clothes.
In a perfect world, this is what I would do when preparing for (or returning from) vacation:
- I would prepare my office–clear off my desk, tie up any loose ends on my projects, make sure everything is completely taken care of before I leave.
- I would clean up my house before leaving so that I return to an uncluttered home, thus preserving the warm fuzzy feeling that being on vacation creates.
- I would leave for home a day early so that I have a free day just to reacclimatize to the real world (Of course, who would want to leave vacation early?!).
- I would catch up on some much needed sleep before going back to work.
- I would unpack the same day I come home so I don’t have piles of suitcases and laundry to deal with for the next week.
Yes, I have good intentions. These are the things that I would like to do, and usually I accomplish them at least partly before I leave on vacation. But, invariably, I never manage to prepare for my homecoming as well as I’d like to. I suppose, if I’m going to be in a perfect world, I may as well add taking a vacation from my vacation to my list of things I would do!